Shaping Neighborhoods: Experience and Innovation is a series of "lecture-experiences" on urbanity.
Shaping Neighborhoods: Experience and Innovation is a series by the Quartier de l’Innovation and the McGill University Centre for Interdisciplinary Research on Montreal (CIRM) of “conference experiments” designed to encourage Quartier de l’Innovation communities to reconnect with the Quartier’s urban planning projects and spur discussion on its community projects, academic research and municipal programs.
They are an opportunity to reflect as well as to develop and build a resilient neighborhood that’s open to its residents’ ideas. At each meeting, participants will visit a prominent location in the neighborhood and talk with local organizations that are rethinking their living environment. Contributors and academic researchers will also join the discussion to connect the actions undertaken locally to research conducted on these projects.
First meeting: Build
Why has place-making become necessary? Most places in most cities developed organically over time, as people and builders appropriated space, modelled it and gave it character. In this era where buildings and neighborhoods are built and torn down, rethinking architecture has become essential.
Academic Leader: Richard Shearmur, Director of the School of Urban Planning, McGill University
Program: Visit of the Wellington Control Tower, a research/action, dissemination and incubation venue with a café-bistro, which will serve as a meeting hub for all who are rethinking and building the city of today and tomorrow. The visit will be followed by a discussion in the Young Project transitory space created by Entremise. Among the guests, Mr. Gorka Espiau, Professor of Practice with the McConnell Foundation, and Jonathan Cha, urbanologist, landscape architect and co-founder of MTL/Ville en mouvement, will share their knowledge on the city's social transformation.
- Ms. Pauline Butiaux, vice-president and treasurer, Manoeuvres / Wellington Control Tower
- Professor Gorka Espiau : professor pr practice, McConnell Foundation / CIRM
- Mr. Philémon Gravel, co-founder, director of de urban planning, Entremise
- Mr. Jonathan Cha : urbanologist, landscape architect, heritage consultant, landscaping consultant for Jean-Drapeau Park, lecturer at UQAM and UdeM, co-founder of MTL\ville en mouvement, co-director at Le Virage MTL
- Ms. Carla Rangel Garcia and Ms. Marie-Philip Roy-Lasselle : Mont Réel project and ConstructLab Berlin
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT - You can write us an email at info [at] quartierinnovationmontreal.com to be the first to receive information for the next Shaping Neighborhoods event.